The Holsworthy (Holdsworthy spelling originally) training area was first used by the military as a training area for the Mounted Infantry / Light Horse units based in the Sydney area from the early 1900’s and was acquired by the army in 1910.
12th Light Horse Regiment training at Holsworthy 1910
This area also became the artillery firing range. During the period 1914 – 1919 a large internment camp for German Nationals was established. After the war this camp became a training establishment for Militia units.
The Garrison Guard on parade. Note the Union Jack flag
This was the Garrison Command and Administration building, which in later years was to become the Headquarters of
D Coy 1 RAR. The area was known as “Old Holsworthy” or the “Tarax Rangers”.
This was also to become the Officers Mess for the 1/19th Battalion RNSWR.
The Guns firing at Holsworthy 1931
PHOTO SOURCE – NSW LIBRARY
National Service Training, Holsworthy, 1953-55
Green Hills – Fire Power Demo
Green Hills – Para Drop
New construction in 1966-67 – Finshchafen and Tobruk lines